Thursday, August 5, 2010

Shakespeare, Camping, Weddings and What The Whale Said

Every summer I think the world spins a little faster. Time seems to have sped up.
Niki and I just returned from a wedding in Ft St John, which was also a big family reunion. The most remembered moment, for me, from the last weekend involves my Grandfather. He is 92, and a very blunt man. At one point, while everyone was visiting and walking around, he came up and put his hand on my shoulder. He had something he wanted to say and ask me. These are not his exact words, but he basically said.
"Your cousin Darryl has a business, is married, and has a baby coming. What's wrong with you? Don't you know how to do it? I know how to do it. I had six kids and a chicken farm."
I was a little speechless. What do you say when the patriarch informs you that you should have some kids by now? I did not want to say anything, I was a little scared he might start explaining things in more detail.
One of Grandpa's main joys in life is counting all his offspring. He loves telling people he has six children, thirty grandchildren, twenty four great grandchildren, with one in the hatchery. The hatchery would be Darryl and Laura's baby. It was pretty funny. I've now been told! I had better learn how to get things done.
A little side note, aunt Eileen played for the wedding. I was not able to get any videos of that, so I asked for a quick little concert after the ceremony. Forgive me Auntie, but I must share:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVa3jQnibNo
The weekend before this last one we were camping with some good Edmonton friends. My parents graciously lent us the truck and 5th wheel. I don't know if I would every want to camp in a tent again. Camping like you're an old man is awesome. I just wish we could camp with them again before the summer was out. Waking up to little voices talking to their food outside our window was a pretty great way to wake up. Especially if you don't have any responsibilities concerning said little voices.
A Said The Whale concert was also squeezed in during the last two weeks. Here's a video from that concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrLYTiNf4g 
Cheers,
Scott

2 comments:

Christine said...

Awesome... your grandfather clearly cares for you and wants what he thinks is best for you guys. I always find it fascinating to talk to people who are very old because I just think about all the things they have seen in their lifetime and find it quite incredible what they must have experienced.

Jeff said...

Hehe, definitely sounds like a moment for speechlessness. You have to appreciate those moments when you really feel like someone is speaking frankly. They're rare and also a bit awkward. But awkward can be worth it, I'm learning. Slowly... learning...