Sunday, July 22, 2012

Happy Centennial Grandma!


If she were alive still today, my mum's mother would have turned 100 years old today. I am lucky to have so many strong, independent women in my family, helping pave the way for my cousins and I to find a path of our own. Last year we had a Guthrie Family Reunion with all the cousins and relatives from this side of the family, and it was amazing to see such a strong group of friendly and fun people. My Aunt and uncle Pete pulled together all these old photos and documents, and compiled an amazing family tree.
Vera Florence Guthrie was born in 1912 in Edmonton, as the eldest of 9 children. She grew up in Grand Prairie, Alberta with her father working as a chef with a restaurant in town. She was quite tall, at 5'8", which is likely where my sister and I have inherited the height gene, as my mum is 5'10". Two of her brothers died in early childhood, but the 7 surviving siblings were quite close.
  Grandma and her youngest brother Bryan

Guthrie Siblings
 
Horseback riding in Grande Prairie
Family Photo 1945
She moved south to the big city of Edmonton after she was done school to work as a pianist. She had a very vibrant life in her 20s, playing an active role in the music scene and making lots of friends. At 28, my grandmother had a son who she gave up for adoption, who we had the pleasure of connecting with in January of 2005, two months before she died. As the 1940's were a different time than today, Grandma had never spoke of this and held it secret. I believe that her strength in overcoming her previous shame and embracing her son after all these years really illuminates that you can always grow and open your heart a little more, even at 92. 

Paddling
 Camping
 Grandma in Edmonton
During the war, she worked for the war effort in an administrative position and played at dances for troops. She could type on a typewriter as fast as she could play piano! She met my grandfather in her 30's after WWII and was 37 years old when she had my Aunt and 39 when she had my mum. They moved all around Canada in the following years, living in Calgary, Toronto and finally settling in Victoria in 1975. I grew very close to Grandma in my teenage years and during university, happily running errands with her and helping her around the house. Grandma was always an amazing pianist, her fingers still had amazing agility and speed into her 90's. Her hands never ached with arthritis or any other age related ailments, and other than a little bit of osteoporosis, she was very healthy and mentally strong into her 90s. Part of this is due to her walking group, getting out and staying social.
 Grandma in Uniform
 Grandma and Grandad, Heather and Laurie (My mum on right)
 Cruising in San Diego
Grandma Playing Piano

From Grandma, I learned the following life lessons that I will always carry with me:

Keep being active all through life
Make time to pursue your hobbies
Be brave and follow your heart
Follow your own schedule in life
Stand up straight, embrace your height (because you'll miss it when you shrink!)
It's never too late to swallow your pride
You can return anything

1 comment:

Bettyanne Neufeld said...

An amazing woman with a fabulous heritage to pass down to the women in her family! It's so wonderful that you were able to spend time with her and absorb her strong character traits and energy for life. You are following in her footsteps by creating your own path, and I know she would be very very proud of her Niki!