Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Nutmeg

I am starting this entry on a sad note. Yesterday Nutmeg passed away, she was 13. I am normally one that is not so sentimental over animals, but Nutmeg was a special member of the Fowler family. She provided much relief when I first started dating Niki. Walking Nutmeg was always a good excuse to spend time together. As well, if there was ever an awkward lull in conversation, or if I had just said something stupid, she always provided a good distraction. I must say, my first introduction to this furry family member was not always good. Scratching at the door at three in the morning can be a rude awakening. I also seemed to be intruding on valuable bed space, which Nutmeg seemed to think was rightfully hers. I grew up under the philosophy that dogs did not belong in the house. Nutmeg helped me see this might not be the only way to live. She did not smell, shed, or bark, all the reasons I would give on why a dog in the house would be a bad thing. Lindsay might have tried to blame a few smells on Nutmeg, but I knew what was really going on. Nutmeg was cute, full of personality, and probably the sole reason that we will be getting a dog in the future.
This last week seemed to go by fairly fast, but a per usual, it's hard to actually remember what happened. Aaron, Shelly, Niki and myself attended some talks on postmodern theology given by Peter Rollins. It was good, and provided some good discussions over Starbucks coffee.
Last Saturday night was a boys game night. While our respective wives were off watching some sort of female oriented theatrical entertainment, we busied ourselves playing Poleconomy. It was loads of fun. Rob Stobbe was prime minister for most of our first game. I was able to secure a cabinet post, Minister of Truth. Needless to say, we were a little corrupt and drove the Canadian government to bankruptcy. We learned from our mistakes, and in the second game, we were a little less partisan. The government lasted through the whole game.
I talked to Ben Lanyon earlier today, he seems to be chipper, even though he's a year older today. Ben is always sort of chipper though. Our friend Shelly is also having a birthday today. Happy birthday guys.
Cheers,
Scott

No comments: