Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Our Alberta Long Weekend


The previous weekend was a long one in Alberta. The Monday following Valentines is "family day". Seems they want to encourage family's to spend time together, which is fitting to me as so many people are probably working at making a family around that time.
Niki and I took this opportunity to visit some friends in Calgary.
My lovely wife's childhood friend Amy now lives in Calgary, some
of you may remember she was a bridesmaid in our wedding. We
had a nice visit with her and her boyfriend Joe. They showed us
their neighborhood Pub, called 1410, which was great and I would recommend eating there if you ever are in Calgary. After which they treated us to a improv show at the Loose Moose theatre. It was very entertaining and I got to hit one of the performers with a pool noodle. Seems the audience did not like the play he directed and so a select few of us got to punish him. I wish I had a picture of it, my many years of wailing on my brothers in our pool with pool noodles came in handy. I am laughing just thinking about it. I hit him, hard. They also introduced us to a nice cafe called the Heartland Cafe. They make all their own food, I think there was probably a lot of organic stuff going on. If you care about the food you eat, it would be another good place to visit if in Calgary.
The other half of our trip was spent visiting an old friend who just moved to Calgary. Steve, his very cool wife Kimasia and daughter have all just moved up here from Seattle. I have known Steve since High school. With him in Seattle the last few years, we have not seen him or his family that much, so it was very nice to be able to get to know them all more. Though I now realize it's no longer Steve and Kimasia, but just Sydney's Mom and Dad. Niki sure made a new friend. Niki enjoyed reading Sydney stories and playing around. Sydney is a very adorable little girl, and makes her parents life awesome! When she was napping, we would try and pass the time. We played Settlers of Cataan, which Niki managed to be Lord of all Cataan in her usual devious way. Kimasia almost won, but I think Niki cheats. *kidding* Another highlight of the trip was a private Yoga lesson for us. Kimasia is a Yoga instructor and she led us all in an hour of stretching. It was pretty cool. It's always neat to see your friends showing you something they are knowledgeable and passionate about. When it comes to health and exercise, Kimasia is both. I know Niki is a little sore today, but it sure helped me. I would normally be a lot more sore after a three hour drive home, but I was not. It has inspired me and I think I am going to check out the Yoga class at my gym. Niki and I were also inspired by the healthy food, so healthy it doesn't count, and amazing organization at their house. We might attempt a little more organization in our home and be little more conscious about what we are eating. Steve also had a very cool idea about a garden. A perfect garden spot for us is currently being blocked by our garage, so he suggested building a raised garden on it's roof. If anyone has any other suggestions furthering that idea, feel free to mention them.
That was our long weekend, and we're now home and back in our routine. It was a good break, and thanks again to our Calgary friends for such a great time.
Cheers,
Scott

2 comments:

Ron said...

Ahem.

"many years of wailing on my brothers"

becomes

"many years of wailing on my brother"

There. Fixed that for ya.

N said...

I would NEVER cheat. Catan is sacred. Maybe at monopoly... but never settlers.

I sure hope that our new valentine's day tradition doesn't involve pool noodles.

These Foam bats work way better if you take the foam off!