Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Out Of Africa

It's been a tranquil week in Edmonton. Niki and I had a relaxing weekend, she had her book club and I had video games. Some new snow has fallen, dashing hopes for an early spring. I attended my first couple of yoga/pilates classes. I am amazed at how fast I start sweating, and it's hard not to laugh sometimes. It feels good though, and has been good for my back. I think I will keep it up, and would probably recommend it. Though not giggling insanely while doing the 'happy baby' pose has been a little hard.
Ryan and Dad made it home safely from Africa. It sounds like they had a really good trip. My favorite story is of 'John Deere'. Their first day working dad noticed one of the locals was working so hard, he compared him to a John Deere tractor. He gave him a JD hat and from that moment his nickname was John Deere. Apparently he is the local equivalent of a general contractor, and from what dad said, outworked everyone in sight. As you probably surmised, that's John Deere on the right in the picture. The other gentleman is wearing a Peterbilt hat, his name being Peter. I guess if you are ever in that area of Kenya, and ask for John Deere, people will know who you are looking for.
They also told me something that made me think of a Terry Pratchett quote, from his book Reaper Man. "Studies have shown that an ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother." I guess this also holds true in Africa too. I was told that Ryan had a wee bit of trouble keeping up with a 80 year old grandmother. She thought it was funny when he wanted to take a break.
Have a good week,
Cheers,
Scott

3 comments:

Kate said...

Scott! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations on your first yoga class :) Keep it up, your body will thank you.

Bob said...

Thanks Kate! It's already thanking me, my back hurts less and I have more mobility:)

Jason R. said...

I'm a fan of pilates. Good work out! Not quite so fond of yoga though - probably because my short attention span prefers activity to just holding poses :)